Mardi Gras parade time is upon us, and the Mobile Police Department has released their list of Mardi Gras safety tips.
You can read the entire list HERE . Below, are some of the basics, as provided by MPD. Remember to leave your pet lizard and your skateboard at home!
- Attend parades in groups, with family or friends.
- Glass containers are prohibited by city ordinance
- Do not follow floats. Violators may be arrested.
- Do not throw any object in the direction of floats, band members or any parade participants. Violators may be arrested.
- Materials known as “Silly String” and “Snap & Pops” along with similar products are illegal. Possession of any these products may result in arrest.
- Do not cross the barricades. Each officer will be carrying a ticket book and will be issuing citations for the offense. The fine for crossing the barricades is $298.
- No underage drinking is allowed. Special undercover police will arrest violators.
- If you need police assistance during a parade, go to the nearest intersection and advise a uniformed police officer.
- Choose a well-lit area for night parade viewing.
- Establish a post-parade meeting place for family and friends in case you become separated.
- Park vehicles in secure areas and do not leave valuables in plain sight. Utilize the trunk to store valuables.
- Uniformed and plainclothes officers will be patrolling behind the crowds to identify and arrest persons engaging in criminal activity.
- Skateboards and motorized scooters are prohibited.
- Pets and other animals are prohibited. Pet means any animal, fowl, reptile, or any other such usual, unusual or exotic pet kept or owned by any person or persons. It is unlawful and an offense against the city for any person or persons who own or keep a pet of any kind or nature whatsoever to bring or allow any such pet to be brought onto the streets of the city when and where Mardi Gras parades and/or other activities are conducted, where uncontained, contained on a leash or otherwise contained. Any person found in violation will be punished by a fine of $25, not including court costs and fees.